Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default GDPR - RGPD and Consent

Does anyone has implemented it on its website yet?

https://www.cnil.fr/node/22806
    Last edited by firstads.biz; May 13th, 2018 at 09:02 AM.

No-one is dealing with European customers? French ones?

https://www.cnil.fr/en/home

https://www.eugdpr.org/
    Last edited by firstads.biz; May 13th, 2018 at 09:29 AM.

My classifieds are USA only. I did a little reading on the GDPR. Got me thinking. Lets say, someone in the United States that sells to someone in Europe. Example, someone in the United States sells an item on ebay to someone in Europe. That seller from the United States has the buyers name, address, email and can even use ebay to get the buyers buying history. Now does the seller in the United States have to comply with GDPR?

Who does the GDPR apply to?
    The GDPR applies not only to organizations who process data in the EU, but also any organization that offers goods or services to, or monitors the behavior of people inside the EU. GDPR applies even if the processing takes place outside of the EU.
    https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/...y-center/gdpr/

Now does the seller in the United States have to comply with GDPR? I think yes as a third part he is accomptable for the gdpr as well...

https://www.ofx.com/en-gb/p/gb/tameb...ler/?pid=12013
    "Marketplace sellers and GDPR basics
    Any information that you use during your regular every day trading on marketplaces such as eBay, Amazon and Etsy and the rest, such as buyer addresses, names and what little payment data too is not your responsibility. That all falls under the purview of the marketplaces who have a responsibility to comply too.

But if you do keep customer data in your own right, perhaps meaning email lists or customer data bases, you’ll find this post useful: 4 simple measures to meet your GDPR obligations. The responsibilities are not terribly onerous if your business is sensible and decent about how you deal with data already. But you may be on the borderline. And in that case please do seek out legal advice to ensure you comply.

For more information beyond the GDPR basics, it is also worth checking out the the official website of the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). And you can find the chapter and verse of all that here.

Honest marketplace sellers, by the way, really don’t have anything much to fear. Just familiarise yourself with the new rules and relax when you realise you’re already compliant. Are you relaxed about GDPR?"
    Last edited by firstads.biz; May 13th, 2018 at 02:33 PM.

I don't sell anything to the EU, I was just thinking that there could be problems, like the US seller to a EU buyer using a platform like ebay, amazon etc. ebay has more than 250 employees so I would think ebay would have to comply, but what about each seller on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by explorersport4x4 View Post
    I don't sell anything to the EU, I was just thinking that there could be problems, like the US seller to a EU buyer using a platform like ebay, amazon etc. ebay has more than 250 employees so I would think ebay would have to comply, but what about each seller on ebay.
    Nope ebay themselves is responsible being they own and run the web site not the sellers. if the seller owns the website and the domain then it applies to them. When a country makes a bold move like this it does end up in costing them jobs. Many web sites will just stop selling to them so they do not have to worry about it. Some would say its a good move because you need to provide a way for them to delete the data and you have to be very upfront what you are using the data for. Unlike facebook who does what ever it likes. But then government would like access to that data and would like access to it very easy. People in USA (where I live) Would be screaming. But privacy is always being tested in all countries all the time.

Do we want the government looking after us or do we prefer to do it ourselves. History has proven when ever the government involves itself nothing good ever happens. It Seems the EU likes the government looking after them. But then some might go as far to say they are getting closer and closer to a communist government because of this.

If your a store and you own the domain you will have to provide a way where the user can dump data and use it to upload to another domain. Why I have no idea. A classifieds is not a store so you just have to make sure your very clear on what you use the data for and allow the user to delete the account if they so chose. I do have and addon that does this So in the registration form you could have questions marks or some item you move your mouse over that gives more information on each field and also in your terms of service be very specific what you use and intent to do with the data. if your using the data for many different things like for example....

We use the data for places classifieds
    We also use the data to sell to other companies
    We use the data to send you a newsletter

In this case you would need 2 check boxes allowing the user to CHOSE what they want. Of coarse the first one would not require a checkmark being we can not place a classified without the information. But that would need to be explained. Your basically just offering more ways to opt in or out on what can be done with a users data.

So when does the EU appoint a king?

bringing this back up for discussion and tips regarding what approach others have taken to making their geo sites GDPR compliant. It seems that even sites like mine, which are focused specifically on the US, are still required to be compliant with GDPR if someone from the EU can view the site and register, or just contact a seller, if they want. It might be an option, albeit seems somewhat odd and extreme, to block countries from accessing it or to disable EU countries from being selected for user locations etc, but I just wanted to open it back up because i am finally close to going live but really want to make sure that my site is compliant even if it focused on the US...... so anyone else out there with a better understanding and/or already updated their terms, privacy policy, contact forms etc and can give the rest of us some tips, links, info etc?

Right, Snappy it doesn't end there, you need to be able to produce a document with all the data you have concerning any customer who does require its browsing data...

Thought i'd comment on this one. It is insufficient to only offer a user the option to delete their account or agree to cookie consent. The following is a summary of what you would need as a minimum according to the act. As well, if you are in the USA or any other country with the possibility your customers are from the EU, you will need to comply.

The main requirements of this law include:

For the merchants’ customers:
    The right to access their personal data;
    The right to data portability;
    The right to obtain rectification and/or erasure of their personal data;
    The right to give and withdraw consent.
    For the merchants
    The obligation to keep a record of processing activities (especially for access, consent and erasure).

In practical terms this is how I have it set up in the Geo platform:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 1kiwi1; August 5th, 2018 at 06:44 PM.
    1kiwi1