Geodesic Solutions Company Blog
- Created on Thursday, 26 September 2013 18:04
- Written by Jonathan Foote
We are ecstatic to announce that the much anticipated 7.3 release candidate 1 is now available for download! At this time we recommend this new version only for new installations, or if you plan to use the new default design, as we are still working on the instructions for those wanting to update and keep the existing design. This new release is focused on features that make it more Mobile Friendly! Here are a few highlights:
- Default Design now uses Responsive Web Design (RWD) - responds to the size of the screen, making for an awesome experience for desktop users or mobile users, or any sized device in between. See our philosophy for more detailed explanation.
- Capable of assigning template sets to load for "only mobile", or "only desktop" for those that wish to create a "mobile version" of the templates. Note that the default design does NOT do this, it uses RWD techniques so that the exact same content changes layout and design based on the size of the screen, rather than showing entirely different content to mobile devices. (see the link above for our own philosophy on that)
- Page Speed Improvements - can now combine, minify, and compress JS and CSS (which is a big deal to help speed up the page, especially on mobile devices)
- Image uploader re-done using HTML5 - can now upload images on iPhones, iTablets, iTables, and whatever else Apple comes up with! The new uploader works using HTML5 to upload the images (or files), so it works on devices that previously were blocked due to lack of Flash support. The upload interface also got a facelift to bring it into the responsive design fold.
If you want to give it a try, existing customers can get it from the client area, in My Downloads. New customers can get it by purchasing the software. Unless otherwise requested, any new installations will use the new release candidate, updates will only update to 7.2.5 (unless 7.3 is requested and you don't mind using default design). You can find more technical information in the user forums here, and can see all the changes in the full changelog.