Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Scammers soliciting strange things

I wanted to share some of the recent scams that my advertisers received. I started banning the IP addresses on the Server side:

213.136.113.89 - Sent a message today saying he or she had millions and needed someone in the US to open a Bank Account for him or her.

192.116.116.102 - I don't even know how to explain what this person was doing. Said he was interested in items, but requested some strange info from them.

I seem to have lost a couple of these. I would appreciate if people could add to this. Together we can make our sites much more enjoyable.

Default Re: Scammers soliciting strange things

Quote Originally Posted by mjm1905
    I wanted to share some of the recent scams that my advertisers received. I started banning the IP addresses on the Server side:

213.136.113.89 - Sent a message today saying he or she had millions and needed someone in the US to open a Bank Account for him or her.

192.116.116.102 - I don't even know how to explain what this person was doing. Said he was interested in items, but requested some strange info from them.

I seem to have lost a couple of these. I would appreciate if people could add to this. Together we can make our sites much more enjoyable.
    And possibly suggest a way the script could be changed to combat them...

IP banning doesn't seem reliable at all to us seeing as the IP of any users is and could be changed easily.

Thats an interesting point. I was not aware users could change that easilly. I got a hit a couple more times. AOL currently put my site on some type of Blacklist.

All emails from Watch Lists and registration are being returned. It appears that some of their users complained to AOL about these low-characters messages.

I was forced to turn off the E-mail validation feature, but this did not resolve the returned messages for Watch List matches to AOL users.

If anyone goes through this as well, there is a short message from the "AOL Postmaster" that contains a link. You then have to apply to be put on a "White List". It's been a couple days no resolution.

As far as resolving the issue through modifying the software, it seems like an impossible task. I researched the IP Addresses of a couple people that hit my site. The one I happen to catch in the morning, banned the IP immediately, and it seemed to stop him.

One thing I noticed, many of these individuals appear to be from Amsterdam and the Middle East (Pakistan and I think a couple where from Saudi Arabia).

I wanted to ban every country except the US, as that is primary target at the moment. My hosting provider pretty much replied that is a daunting task.

How about some sort of Flood Control. Limiting the number of messages that can be sent to a time frame. Similar to what is applied to forum software. I know that is not a fix, but it could minimize the damage these Internet Vagrants cause. Provided that we are able to catch their messages soon enough as well.
    Its not a choice, its a child.

My host replied to me about this. Seems the sites that actually got the spam reports where not mine. AOL is blocking all sites that are on the same host.

They suggested that I setup my "SMTP" Mail to send all messages until the issue is resolved. Is there a way to do this?

My host replied to me about this. Seems the sites that actually got the spam reports where not mine. AOL is blocking all sites that are on the same host.

They suggested that I setup my "SMTP" Mail to send all messages until the issue is resolved. Is there a way to do this?
    We had the same issues with our host and AOL. The host just had to contact AOL directly to work out the issues. Don't see how configuring SMTP could help as it is probably the IP's of the host are banned...and yours is one of those IP's. Do you have your own "box" with your host?

Quote Originally Posted by admin

We had the same issues with our host and AOL. The host just had to contact AOL directly to work out the issues. Don't see how configuring SMTP could help as it is probably the IP's of the host are banned...and yours is one of those IP's. Do you have your own "box" with your host?

If your IP is owned by your hosting company, which it more then likely is, then you need to speak with them as they are the only ones who can get unblocked.

Thanks for the advice. I did talk with my hosting service. It seems things are in the works. AOL contacted me as well. It appears they are backed-up with spam issues. They pretty much told me the same things mentioned here. Moreover, the conversation went far beyond my education of the Internet and Email.

Still has not been resolved. Becoming a bit frustrated with AOL.

I'm not sure about the "Box" question. I can setup E-mail addresses for my Website. I think a couple hundred. The messages are forwarded or I can check them through their "Webmail" interface.

Thanks again.

We run a classified site right now and the problem we see often is scammers sending a note to our sellers saying they'll buy a car and they'll send a moneyorder if the person sends them the title. The money order scam being that it is a fake money order and they get the title and then cash the real money order check . . .. People get really sick of this. I think if you implemented an IDverification system . . . like this http://livedeal.com/help/verifiedaccount.jsp

It would deter some of the scamming a bit. Also if users could have a way to report members that are trying to scam them, this might also help deter scammers. Basically any sort of system that can be set up where the community polices itself and users have to pay a little to gain credibility I think will greatly curb scammers

You can now force registration on the system. That will help deter people from sending solicitations. Moreover, if they do, you can ban them from the site by suspending their account.

Hey there!

I'm working on the same issues, how do I stop the scammers from signing up?

In studying Craig's list, they have some interesting solutions.

They are able to ban whole domains, such as hostmail.com
    or *.info. I think they can also limit how many people sign up
    from each domain each day.

They are able to stop robots from signing up for dozens of accounts
    by requiring the user read a distorted text box, something a robot
    cannot do...

They have a feedback system allowing people to vote to cancel ads,
    and/or notify the admin that a bad ad needs attention. Three buttons
    vote for deletion, and one simply flags the ad for the admin to review.

How can we accomplish these things with geoclassifieds?

George