Default How to Model Geo Ent to My Needs

I'm fairly new to this an just bought GeoClassifeds Ent. The model I want is to be able to have a user log in and the home page will only show ads specific to the users region.

For example, if the user is from Canada, Ontario, Toronto Region, I imagine I can set these up accordinging in geo with the country, state/province and city fieds. Is this the best way to approach it?

How do I tie these to the user's login to ensure only these show up?

As well, even though the user might be from Toronto Region, they may want to optionally see all adds from Ontario when they log in.

I think I've explaned the model properly.

I trieds playing with the filtering and I think this is where I should be looking but I'm not sure. Just looking for some pointers.

Thanks,

Remo

Default Re: How to Model Geo Ent to My Needs

Quote Originally Posted by rpaulpen
    I'm fairly new to this an just bought GeoClassifeds Ent. The model I want is to be able to have a user log in and the home page will only show ads specific to the users region.

For example, if the user is from Canada, Ontario, Toronto Region, I imagine I can set these up accordinging in geo with the country, state/province and city fieds. Is this the best way to approach it?

How do I tie these to the user's login to ensure only these show up?

As well, even though the user might be from Toronto Region, they may want to optionally see all adds from Ontario when they log in.

I think I've explaned the model properly.

I trieds playing with the filtering and I think this is where I should be looking but I'm not sure. Just looking for some pointers.

Thanks,

Remo
    Sounds like you you will use the site filter system or the zip/distance filter. We currently do not have the zip/filter data for canada though. The enterprise manual will provide a good explanation of the site filtering system. But you would tie the city/state/province/region data into a registration data field and then a site wide field for each. The filter does not automatically populate when logged in and anyone coming to your site can use filtering system.

Thanks Admin, but I'm still a little confused. I Have read the manuals and kind of understand what is possible, but not sure if it will do what I want.

If I filter for a certain region, can that be applied to the whole home page. For example, the home page lists 50 items under Category 1 and this shows on the home page as Category 1 (50). Now say there is a filter for only Toronto Region which makes up 20 of the 50 Category 1 items. Can I apply the filter such that the whole home page would reflect only this filter(ie. Category 1 (20)), the newest ads window would only show newest ads within Toronto, the ads placed within 24 hours would only show Toronto, etc, etc..). In essence what I'm trying to get is filtered set of data, based on region, but displayed with all the standard templates. Hence, when the user logs in, he will see data for that region only.

Second note... does anyone have a canadian postal code/zip available?

Thanks,

Remo

Thanks Admin, but I'm still a little confused. I Have read the manuals and kind of understand what is possible, but not sure if it will do what I want.

If I filter for a certain region, can that be applied to the whole home page. For example, the home page lists 50 items under Category 1 and this shows on the home page as Category 1 (50). Now say there is a filter for only Toronto Region which makes up 20 of the 50 Category 1 items. Can I apply the filter such that the whole home page would reflect only this filter(ie. Category 1 (20)), the newest ads window would only show newest ads within Toronto, the ads placed within 24 hours would only show Toronto, etc, etc..). In essence what I'm trying to get is filtered set of data, based on region, but displayed with all the standard templates. Hence, when the user logs in, he will see data for that region only.
    Yes he will only see the ads/auctions for the filter they have chosen. If the client has not set a filter they will see all ads. You just need to decide whether to organize using categories which is most common and probably most expected by your clients. Use a filter system with a limit category structure...the internet challenged may be confused. Or both...just how you want to tackle the problem.

Thanks,

Remo
    zipcodedownload.com

Quote Originally Posted by admin

Yes he will only see the ads/auctions for the filter they have chosen. If the client has not set a filter they will see all ads. You just need to decide whether to organize using categories which is most common and probably most expected by your clients. Use a filter system with a limit category structure...the internet challenged may be confused. Or both...just how you want to tackle the problem.

Thanks,

Remo
    zipcodedownload.com
    Seems like and aweful alot of money for just zip or postal codes.

Thank you. Your info has been helpful and I got it working.

To take it further.... If I have 3 registration fields of say, Country, Province, Region... now I want to pass the result of these selections to a user group or promotion code called the concantenation of their selected Country, Province and Region. This in turn, would automatically assign them to that User Group.

The flow would be:
    1) Bypass the promotional code at registration.
    2) Prompt the user for the 3 filters, Country, Provice, Region (This is done).
    3) Pass the filter choices to the promotional code (ex. Canada_Ontario_Toronto). The promotianl code would already be defined.

The end result is that I has a user who belongs to a group, therefore taking advantage of the group functions. Then, they have an automatic filter that would only show them ads for that group.