Default Drop down menus and Mega Menus?

I'm looking for an existing Prototype/Scriptaculous script (with css styling) for a drop-down menu and also for a mega menu.

Anyone know of a good source?
    It doesn't have to be free...

Thank you,
    Ron

Wow. No response from anyone?

jonyo is offline Veteran GeoUser Geo Development Team

Quote Originally Posted by Macron View Post
    Wow. No response from anyone?
    I didn't say anything, because not sure how you would want a drop-down (which is just normal HTML) to be fancied-up using prototype/scriptaculous, and second because not sure what you mean by "mega menu". I figured if anyone knew what you were talking about they may reply, I guess not though. Maybe if you provide more info on what you are looking for?

Hi Jonathan.
    I can probably do it in CSS3, but I've been trying to find sources of scripts, or libraries, for Prototype/Scriptaculous, similar to those available for jQuery. It just seems there's not much available out there for Prototype.

Mega Menus are a type of drop-down menu where the drop-down section can run multiple columns of links. So, they're "mega" ... huge. They've been around for quite a while. And, again, I may be able to do it in CSS3.

Thanks,
    Ron

jonyo is offline Veteran GeoUser Geo Development Team

Ahh, so that's what a mega drop-down is, I knew what they were, seen them used everywhere, just never heard it called that before. Or maybe I did and thought it was a silly name so selectively forgot about it, kinda like the old DHTML (not saying they are silly, just the name is a little silly, and that could just be because I'm feeling silly right now, how knows )

Should be pretty easy for someone familiar with Prototype and Scriptaculous, just consists of a hidden element that you would position right below the main item (see clonePosition in Prototype for help positioning), and show (via fancy effect like scrollDown or something in Scriptaculous) the hidden item when someone hovers or clicks (must make it work with click as well, for mobile devices where hover does not apply), using Prototype's Event.observe() to work best. The tricky part, is figuring out when to hide it. For that, you could set up a JS timer thingy that has interval set to run every second, and take a look at the mouse position. When the mouse position is "outside" the menu area for a period of 2-5 seconds or so, hide the element using scrollUp or another one of the hide effects in Scriptaculous, or just .hide() in prototype if you don't need an effect. The first part would take maybe 15 minutes to write, the "hide" logic might take a bit longer to make sure it is cross-browser compatible, although using Prototype/Scriptaculous helps tons with the cross browser compatibility.